Online, (CET 3.30pm-5.00pm, EST 9.30am-11.00am, GMT 2.30pm-4.00pm).
This online course provides an essential introduction to copyright law and how it is used in practice. Delegates will gain an understanding of the legal publishing landscape, and be able to make sense of their own organization’s contracts and licences.
- What exactly is copyright: who owns it and who can enforce it?
- Moral rights: what they are and how they affect publishers
- International copyright framework: how it all fits
- Managing permissions: what to ask and what to record
- When you don’t need permission: ‘Fair dealing’ and ‘Fair use’ provisions
- Making permissions easier: blanket licences, bilateral agreements and outsourcing
- Introduction to Creative Commons and other online licences.
- Pre-course reading/exercises
- Comprehensive delegate pack
- One and a half hour interactive online workshop
- Post course exercises marked by our tutor
- 48 hour email follow up with the tutor
- Certificate on completion of all elements.
What will you learn?
Understand the principles of copyright and how it works in an international digital and print environment; ensure that the moral rights of creators are upheld; understand permission systems and best use of Reproduction Rights Organizations (RROs) and outsourcing; understand the basics of online licensing in an open access or subscription-based environment.
Who should attend (Level 1)
People starting out in a rights or licensing role or with one to two years’ publishing experience in editorial and production functions in large and small organizations.
Early bird rates for members – Book by 13 September 2019*
Not an ALPSP member? Want to take advantage of the reduced member rates? Click here to find out how your organization can join ALPSP
Members early bird £154.00 (+ VAT where applicable)
Members full price £172.00 (+ VAT where applicable)
Non Members full price £286.00 (+ VAT where applicable)
Academic rates are available, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
This workshop includes a complimentary course pack
Contact: Melissa Marshall T: +44 (0)1622 871035 E: Melissa.email@example.com