Will an employer sponsor my Visa for UK book publishing?

Feb 9, 2017

visa globe‘Will an employer sponsor my visa to work in UK Book Publishing’ is a question frequently asked by International students from International (Non EU/EEA) countries.

The answer is currently that it is highly unlikely you will get sponsorship.

The UK Government knows that book publishing is oversubscribed; it is highly unlikely that any role will fulfill the requirements of ‘resident labour market test‘.  The resident labour market test requires the employer to advertise the job widely and receive no suitable applicants who already have the right to work in the UK.

Most employers know this.  We spoke to a number of HR departments as well as members of the IPG. Everyone told us the same thing: that they cannot get sponsorship for entry level, executive or mid-level publishing roles. There may be a chance of sponsorship for someone in a senior role, but for the big companies, this is strictly limited in number and is likely to be an inter-company transfer.

This must be very painful for you to read; you want to stay in the UK and we’d love to have you. But the reality is there are more people wanting to work in book publishing than there are jobs, and the UK Government states those jobs have to be filled by those with an automatic right of residency.

You’ll also need to be earning above the pay threshold and as we know, pay in publishing is not great, and its very likely you’ll have to be at some sort of management level before you’ll reach this.

What can you do instead?
The best thing you can do is to return to your host country and build up your career there.
If you find yourself working for a publisher who has a UK office, you might be able to get an inter-company transfer
in a few years time, but there are no guarantees.

If you build up your career with a publisher that does not have UK office, it may be that in a few years time, the role you seek could meet the requirements of the ‘resident labour market test’.  Alternatively, you could meet the criteria of ‘exceptional talent‘ and be able to move to the UK on a work Visa, although these are currently restricted in number to 500.

If you want to set up a business here, and have at least £50,000 investment in cash, then you may be able to apply for an entrepreneurial visa.

Or you can pray and hope that the UK Government changes its criteria for who can work here or decides that book publishing is as essential an occupation as nursing.